Monday, February 23, 2015

Monday, February 23, 2015

I researched obesity in Proquest, and was amazed at the number and variety of articles I found.  It was so interesting because there were articles from many other countries, as well as from the United States.  It seems they are all in agreement about the cause of obesity, and I did find it interesting that economic and racial trends are, in part, thought to be a cause.  In my mind, it really boils down to poor eating habits and inactivity, regardless of age.  My eyes have been opened through this research project.  

In the publication portion of Proquest, I first researched investments, and finally 401(k) investments.  What a vast array of  information on investments to make, why one should be investing, and many mistakes to avoid.  I was aware of the basics about investing in a retirement plan, but was never very clear in my understanding about the differences.  I will be talking to my investment coordinator to make certain that we are investing in the right areas, and making the most of our investments, so when we reach retirement age, we will be able to retire!

I also did research in the publication section of Proquest, on librarians.  Though only one entry was provided, I widened my search to "books" and could have spent all day researching the many publications regarding books.  There are publications about books for all ages.

Living in an ag-based community, I did some research on publications on agriculture, and once again am amazed at the number and variety of things I found.  I enjoyed that I could widen the search or easily narrow the search.

1 comment:

  1. Proquest is an amazing resource--as you discovered, there is a wide range of topics that can assist different information needs and interests.

    Thanks for your post!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete