Thursday, April 9, 2015

Lesson 9 covered genealogy, and I found this to be terribly frustrating.  I searched my name, and on the first try, I found hundreds of people with similiar names, however, I never did find any information on ME.  I tried limiting the search with my exact information, to no avail, and then broadening the search, again to no avail.  I was born in South Dakota in 1962, shouldn't there be something about me in there somewhere?

I then tried searching my grandmother who was born in 1899 in South Dakota.  I found her birthdate and social security number.  In searching further, I found information about her husband, and her three daughters.  I did know my grandfather, who died before I was born, was born in Denmark, however I didn't know my grandmother was born in Illionois.

I searched location, South Dakota, and found numerous bits of information regarding South Dakotans, such as their birthplace, age, occupation, and weekly income, among other information.

In HeritageQuest, I researched my father's family.  I found that his grandfather and grandmother were born in England, and his father was born in Bon Homme County, South Dakota. My grandfather was 5 years old at the time of tine 1880 census.

In Sanborn Maps, I researched Spearfish, from 1885 and 1903. I noticed how much the town had grown, and there were many of the same buildings in both maps.  I was disappointed they did not have a map of my hometown, Gregory, but did enjoy browsing other towns in the area that I have a "history" with.

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting that you weren't able to find yourself in Ancestry--but not everyone is in Ancestry. Many times you will find a mention in a directory resource (but even then, the directories frequently have birth dates wrong etc.)

    Fascinating finds about your grandmother and grandfather! Thank you so much for your post,

    Julie

    ReplyDelete